New Site

We're making a change to the way that we release work for our classes. The main lessons (the things that we'll do in class each day) will now be found at the site "Optimal Beneficial Moreover Detrimental: Classroom." We're keeping this site, with a slightly different name, in order to release a reading a day for students to practice their reading at home. Each post will contain a link to a reading, along with a list of assignments that can be completed for that reading.

Monday, April 15, 2013

31.1. "Ribbons," Reread, W9.

What is Our Goal This Week?
We're just practicing the skills we've learned all year long to work out the kinks -- answering open-ended questions and multiple choice questions connected to a reading and a range of writing skills.

Do Now

On a piece of paper, execute a plan for the following prompt and write your thesis under the plan. Then, draw a line under that and write one of your body paragraphs (whichever one you choose from the supporting reasons in your thesis). 8 minutes to plan and compose thesis, 5 minutes to write a body paragraph -- 13 minutes

Writing Situation

I have very few problems in my personal life; I am generally a happy person at this point. However, there is still one thing in my life that causes me a great deal of pain, frustration, and sorrow -- the New York Mets. I don't really care about any other sports team, honestly, I root for the Nets and the Devils in a disinterested way, and even Rutgers's teams success or failure doesn't really hurt. When the Mets win, though, my day is somewhat improved. My problem is they don't win enough. Caring about the Mets, therefore, brings me more pain than pleasure, I think. That's stupid, right -- if rooting for one team makes me unhappy, and the only reason to watch things live or one TV is to be pass time pleasantly, I should switch my allegiance to another team.

Writing Prompt

Should I switch my favorite baseball team from the Mets to a better team? Why (or why not)? Write me a letter arguing for your position. Make sure to use reasons, facts, and examples to be as convincing as you can.

Independent Practice

Today's Text
We're rereading a text today, which is something that we do far too little of in school -- most of the best insights that I get from stories I don't get from my first reading. The story is "Ribbons," by Laurence Yep, a story that we read in September in order to master the Five Fingers technique. Now, we'll be using it to practice our open-ended questions technique. 3300 words, should take 20 minutes to read

Open-Ended Question

The narrator and her grandmother both learn the same theme in the story.

  • What is that lesson that both take away from the story?
  • How do you think that knowing this theme helps them (or anyone) in life?
Write this answer in Criterion, the prompt is entitled "1.8.5. RIBBONS Open-Ended."

No comments:

Post a Comment