New Site

We're making a change to the way that we release work for our classes. The main lessons (the things that we'll do in class each day) will now be found at the site "Optimal Beneficial Moreover Detrimental: Classroom." We're keeping this site, with a slightly different name, in order to release a reading a day for students to practice their reading at home. Each post will contain a link to a reading, along with a list of assignments that can be completed for that reading.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

0.1 Introduction: What We're Supposed to Learn

Have you ever wondered how teachers and schools decide what kids are supposed to learn? Probably not, I bet (I never wondered as a kid). However, I still think, now that I brought it up, it's kind of an interesting question. Kids don't wonder how a school or teacher decides what to teach, but they do constantly wonder why they have to learn certain things.

The answer is often because the school has a legal obligation to teach certain skills in different subject areas. New Jersey, for Mathematics and Language Arts, uses something called the Common Core State Standards, which is a national project to establish shared standards. Here's a link to everything that you are supposed to learn in Language Arts.

I really like these standards; I think that they're much better than the one that they replaced. They're hard to understand, I admit, if you aren't a teacher or a principal, but feel free to ask me what standard applies to anything that I ask you to do, since it was my job to learn them and teach them to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment