New Site

We're making a change to the way that we release work for our classes. The main lessons (the things that we'll do in class each day) will now be found at the site "Optimal Beneficial Moreover Detrimental: Classroom." We're keeping this site, with a slightly different name, in order to release a reading a day for students to practice their reading at home. Each post will contain a link to a reading, along with a list of assignments that can be completed for that reading.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

HOCW How Our Class Works: Those Weird Codes

Hi, I've been messing with the titles of these blog postings all the time, but I think I finally settled on a system. I feel that this system helps students, parents, other teachers, and administrators in our school understand more specifically (if they are interested) in what we're doing.  However, the code can be a little confusing, so here's help.

The first code refer to our School's Unit Plans.

The number in front, like 4.1. is just the week number in the school year and the day number in the week.

The codes after the title refer to Common Core Standards for Language Arts.

This is a big list of things that English teachers are supposed to teach. It's really interesting to me, here's a link if you want to learn more about it. But, I am supposed to teach Reading Literature (RL), Reading Information Text (RI), Writing (W), Speaking and Listening (SL), and Language (L). Inside or these categories is a numbered list of skills that I am supposed to be trying to teach every student. So, a number like RI2. in this blog means that I am trying to teach students to summarize effectively and determine the central idea of an informational text. Again, you don't need to know this if you trust me, but I believe pretty strongly that everyone should be allowed enough information to understand why I do everything; to me, that's part of being a good public servant.

Some codes refer to other helpful information that helps our class run.

Our classroom policies, procedures, and rules, or technology helps, or this post are important, but not part of my curriculum, so there are no convenient codes for this kind of information. I invented the dorky HOCW code for "How Our Class Works" to explain things that don't fit into any other category, and I will be coding things about using the technology that helps our class run smoothly (at this point) with the standard TECH. There actually are standards for using technology that New Jersey schools are supposed to teach, so I can generally find a standard to fit any technology trick I am looking to impart.

No comments:

Post a Comment